The Miracle The Devil Didn't Want To Happen

. .

Sometimes significant things happen that just need to be shared. Over the last week or two we have experienced just that. So, we are relating a Miracle Manifestation to hopefully encourage others in the battle.

Bev—Our story actually begins before April . . . but in that month, Harold had his annual physical and although the nurse laid out a test for his prostate it was not done. When the nurse returned with his paperwork, Harold asked and was told that “sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn’t do the prostate exam.”

I remember Harold telling me about this because he had trouble, he felt needed attention. After some time, he felt he’d have his prostate looked at, so he made an appointment at an Immediate Care facility. After his appointment, he awaited some word.

A few weeks after that, he called back and spoke with a nurse who said it was written in his file to make an appointment with a urologist. For whatever reason, that was not communicated at the time of his visit.

Harold thus called a urologist, but it was 5 weeks before he could be seen. When he was seen, the urologist recommended he have a biopsy done on his prostate gland.

Unfortunately, we were already scheduled for two out-of-state engagements that would put off the testing for several weeks.

Harold --Now it was the beginning of October, but I was finally scheduled to have a biopsy. There are 6 quadrants on either side of the prostate for a total of 12 biopsy tests. Cells would be taken in each quadrant and the resulting Gleason test would be measured on a scale of 1-5 … five being the worst.

Bev I go a lot on my peace factor and I didn’t really feel good about this but I hated to mention it to Harold. I tried praying and just casting this care on the Lord. I didn’t really know what to do at the time but pray and wait.

Harold—The scheduled day came … a Thursday. The biopsies were taken, and we were scheduled for a follow up for the results the following Thursday.

It’s interesting how God is in the little things. As the Thursday approached Bev planned to go with me but we realized she had a long-standing appointment about that time.

She felt she might cancel and reschedule; however, we received a call from the urologist’s office the Wednesday before to reschedule for first thing in the morning instead of the late afternoon appt. Neither one of us sensed that was happenstance. Something was amiss.

Bev—I had not felt very good about this and now I was sure this was more than just a random appt. change. When we got in the parking lot that Thursday, I stopped Harold and assured him that no matter what we were told we needed to remember that God was on the throne and that He’d never leave us or forsake us. He agreed.

Harold—when the urologist came into the room, he looked rather grim, but he got right down to business. He explained again about 12 quadrants being biopsied. He said generally in prostate cancer you will find cancer cells in a quadrant or two here or there…depending upon the severity. He said … you have cancer cells in all 12 quadrants. Not only that but every quadrant is either a 4 or a 5.

In his 25 years in the business, he said he’d never seen this. He was so concerned that he said, “I called the pathologist to see if there was some mistake.”

Then he continued by saying it was one of the most aggressive cancers there was. As if in consolation, he said, “We’ll fight back …maybe 2 years of radiation and some hormone therapy as well.”

Bev—I feel he was grasping at straws at that point … something to make us feel better. He said you will probably have a lot of questions, so he gave us a book “100 Questions & Answers about Prostate Cancer.

Harold—the doctor wanted me into get to Hospital first thing the next morning … which would have been Friday … for a complete work up: MRIs, CT scans, chest x-ray. He wanted a complete head-to-toe examination to determine if the cancer had spread. Bev went out to meet with his scheduling nurse and I went in for my blood to be drawn.

Bev—as I stood with the girl trying to schedule all this extensive work up, I could tell she was not the only one crying for immediate assistance. The result, they could not see us until Monday … so 7:30 a.m. Monday was what it was. She also scheduled our return visit to discuss results for Tuesday afternoon, making the point that it would be his last appt. of the day. I figured that meant he might have a whole lot to talk about.

To say Harold and I had a lot to think about walking out of that urology office would be an understatement.

We both made a determination when we got into the car. We would tell people we did not get a very good doctor’s report, but tests would need to be run before anything could be known.

We chose to only tell Harold’s mom and dad and our children that prostate cancer was diagnosed but to leave out any and all references to the severity of the diagnosis for their sakes … until we could find out more.

Harold—we felt the shock of prostate cancer was enough for the family to absorb to begin with. We also made another determination. It was easy to look back and play the ‘what if’ game. What if this could have been caught in April or June or whenever? We decided the energy the enemy wanted to steal from us should not be wasted on the past but concentrated on how to pray and what to do now.

We rode out to tell Mom and Dad in person but they were not at home. Nonetheless, the ride out and back was good for us. We had a lot to process.

Upon returning to the store, we answered people’s inquiries as we stated we would and went back to work. Bev eventually went to her appt.

On Monday morning, I texted eight pastors and five international ministry leaders all of whom are close friends. . .telling them my urologist found something that he didn’t like. . .so I’m at hospital having two different kinds of bone scans and some X-rays. I asked they pray all the results were negative, meaning in my favor. I also texted some very close friends.

I was now feeling covered by a symphony of prayer.

Bev—I was in a bit of a fog. I was doing what needed to be done but all the time processing with God. I needed to think about things but still give all my concerns to Him to filter for me.

It also came to me that a lot of battle could be won if God moved on Harold to make those tests prove the doctors wrong. A kind of semi-peace fell over me in such a strange way that I wondered if I was at peace or just taken back by all this.

Harold—we stopped by Mom and Dad’s on the way home after work …my folks prayed over me and I remember Mom telling the devil he couldn’t have her baby.

Bev—it turned out to be a smart move to put everything in God’s hands immediately because as I began to read the book on prostate cancer, I learned several disturbing facts which I decided my husband didn’t really need to know at the time. I figured he had enough spiritual hoops to jump through on his own.

I read where the first thing an aggressive cancer does is spread to the pelvic region and straight to the bones. I also saw where Harold was experiencing every symptom known to prostate cancer … some of them for months on end now. One in particular was weight loss. Harold had started losing weight at the beginning of the year. When his loss became significant, he started working with it by controlling portions and other means. He’d lost 65 pounds up to this point.

I decided to call a couple of heavy-duty intercessors who lived out of state and ask them to pray about these tests. I knew my mother- in-law would be praying like a Mama Bear over her baby as only Mom can do.

Harold—we found out later that our three children, who all live out of state, conference-called each other and prayed together the Sunday before the tests. I cried when I heard this after the fact. It blessed me so.

We worked at our Christian Bookstore on Saturday, got through Rich Thoughts for Breakfast calls and Sunday Night Live without a lot of problem. We had to record our Monday morning Rich Thoughts call because of our early appt. at the hospital.

On Monday, the hospital staff were wonderful about working with us to make the numerous tests go more efficiently.

We had a battery of X-rays. . .then I had two drink bottles (16 oz) of stuff in preparation for the nuclear bone scan.  

Bev—when we arrived for our appointment on Tuesday afternoon, this time it was my husband who stopped us before we got out of the car. He told me that no matter what results we got today we we’re going to have a miracle. . .and that, God would be glorified either way.

We had not discussed the topic much over the weekend, but I knew He’d made his peace with God for whatever happened.

I was blessed or impressed with his reserve in facing what was certainly a life and death situation.

Harold—it took a little bit to get checked in. When the doctor came in his countenance was a complete 180 from the previous Thursday. Before he even sat down, he said all your scans came back completely clean…your chest X-ray was perfect and you have the bones of young man.

Bev—the minute I heard him say the bones of a young man. I knew that I knew that I knew God had touched him. If I didn’t already know due to the explicit details in which the Prostate Cancer book pointed out that there could be no way unless it was God’s way…that he’d be healed, the Lord immediately reminded me of my mother-in-law’s declaration over my father-in-law when he’d had a 5 way heart by-pass.

One thing you have to understand about my mother-in-law. She always goes for the gold. She doesn’t believe God for anything halfway. She told my father-in-law his heart wouldn’t just be healed…he was going to have a brand-new heart! And that is exactly what the doctor said it looked like at an appt. a year after his surgery.

Mom had prayed new bones for Harold and he had them. The urologist continued to talk with confidence that we could beat this thing.

Harold—All I could think was Hallelujah. . .God is going to be glorified. Truthfully, I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I was so anxious to tell our children.

Bev—I could have jumped up and run around I was so awed and amazed at what God had done. It was truly a miracle. We couldn’t wait to tell the family and the staff how Good our God is!’

Harold—back in the car. . .we praised God for his healing deliverance.

I sent a text to all those who prayed and many others.

“Miraculous news!!! All the bone scans and X-rays were clean. Truly I was touched by the Lord and a symphony of prayer from the saints. Our urologist said I had the most aggressive prostate cancer he had seen in 25 years.   He was concerned it had spread but Praise God it had not. His countenance today was the complete opposite of last Thursday. Thank you for your prayer support. We have truly experienced a miracle! To God be the glory.”

I talked with our friend Bishop Merritt from the Straight Gate Church in Detroit on Thursday and he told me he sent my text to his church on that Wednesday because they had all being praying for us.

The journey is continuing. . .I was started on a hormone treatment with a shot that last four months. . .the first week of January I will begin six weeks of radiation treatment on five days a week. At least that’s the medical plan… BUT GOD.

But we are believing God has a better plan. . .complete healing by and through the Word of God.

Joshua 1:5 came to my mind:

“No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

As we look back on this harrowing but triumphant experience, there are several key ways God walked us through to this victory.

  1. We chose not to look back.

Philippians 3:13-14 ESV

“Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

We mentioned this earlier but it’s spiritually significant that we didn’t begin blaming people for perhaps not doing their job.

First, it would have robbed us of much-needed energy for the battle we faced.

Second, it would have turned our focus from God to others and past experiences which were beyond changing. It was done and gone. Besides, God knows everything! Our miracle may not have been such a testimony if the cancer was ‘caught early.’

  1. We never talked worst-case-scenario.

We actually both did a lot of processing with God . . .not each other. We did not even talk about the results that much. We also avoided the ‘if this happens, we can do that’ game. We both sought God in our own ways…allowing Him to sort out our thoughts and emotions.

  1. Sometimes you must rely on others and trust them to pray.

When you are up against the fight of your life, it’s important to let others lift you up. It’s important to have the support of a local church but especially one that is not timid about working the Word. Prayer should be the work of every church.

God calls certain people to be intercessors and prayer warriors. That is why our spiritual relationships with people are important. As an intercessor, I understand how hard it can be to pray. I have been standing in the gap for friends whose daughter has a degenerative cell disease the doctors say will kill her. It is beyond my imagination to fathom how they must feel say nothing of what they are praying to get through the trial of their lives. On one side they are no doubt crying out for God to touch her as only He can. On the other side, they are constrained by thought of surviving if it does not happen. An intercessor can stand in the gap and work the Word unceasingly before God. Even Moses needed Hur and Aaron to hold up his hands in the midst of the battle (Exodus 17:12-13).

  1. Delay does not mean denial.

We are blessed beyond measure that God answered our prayers at the onset of this attack. Even if the scans had not been favorable to us it did not mean that God could not pull off a mighty miracle but of course we Praise God for His amazing mercy to us and for us that He did. Again, we are blessed beyond measure for this outpouring of love.

  1. Get before God so you walk in peace.

The very best way to walk in peace is to stay in such contact with the Lord and His Word that He steps in immediately in a crisis moment.

My mother in law taught me early on about being ‘prayed up.’ That means you never let your relationship lag with God. He is always there but if we wander away from Him, it may take some praying for us to realize He is.

We are working on a new addition to our website: What To Do When Facing a Crisis.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21NIV